Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pineapple-Chicken Salad

This recipe is fantastic. It is a BEAUTIFUL presentation and impressive to everyone. It also fills you up and is just a satisfying dish all around. Another recipe from the old WW cookbook except I don't believe I changed it much if any.

Pineapple-Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
1 Small Pineapple
6 ounces diced cooked chicken ( I used one large chicken breast I believe)
1/2 cup of cubed or julienned Cheddar Cheese.
1/4 cup each: sliced celery, sliced carrot (or coined), green bell pepper, scallions, and golden raisins.
3 cups torn lettuce leaves (a mixed lettuce works best)
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used vanilla for a slightly sweeter flavor)
2 tbs plus 2 tsps mayonnaise
1/4 tsp salt
Dash pepper.

Directions:
Cut pineapple in half lengthwise leaving stem and leaves in tack. Using a mellon ball scooper or icecream scoop, hollow fruit out of each half leaving a 1/4" thick shell. Dice pineapple and use One cup of it for the salads. (I used a bit more as I love pineapple...the rest was fought over by my father and husband like rabbid dogs..it was hillarious!!)


In medium bowl combine pineapple, chicken, cheese, vegetables and raisens. Line the pineapple shells with the lettuce (approx. 1 1/2 cups each) and distribute evenly the chicken mixture between the two.


In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients and drizzle evenly over pineapples. I chilled them for 30 minutes before serving. Each shell is 2 servings but my husband and I agreed that it would make a great lunch out doors by the pool in which case we could probably eat one half each...but four our dinner party with my parents we ate half of one each and it was a great amount served with other dishes.

No comments: