Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

This weekend has been a whirlwind, but I love it. The Farmer's Market was packed yesterday but I have a nice array of seasonal goods to use for a week full of exciting recipes. (I'm feeling ambitious this week despite the desperate need to attack weeds in the garden). So what was so great that I bought? RHUBARB and STRAWBERRIES! I haven't had Rhubarb in YEARS but I distinctly remember my mama's rhubarb strawberry pies.

I decided to go in a little bit different direction though and set out to make a small batch of jam to go with my PopOvers later in the week and experiment with some cupcakes. So far so good and my house smells wonderfully of baked strawberry. MMM

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
(adapted from Simply In Season)

Ingredients:
4 cups diced Rhubarb
3 cups strawberries (decapped)
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Place rhubarb and strawberries in a large sturdy stock pot. Mash strawberry's slightly (I used the flat side of the measuring cup) Add water and bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir pretty consistently for 20 minutes. About 15 minutes in, you can lower the heat to medium for the last few minutes. This is when it is most likely to burn so lowering the heat is ideal as it thickens. Be careful because this will scorch on the bottom.

Ladel into hot prepared jam jars. Add seals and lids and place in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. I flipped mine upside down on a towel for about five minutes to really keep that lid seal hot, then flipped for a tight seal. This made 4 1/2 pints with about 1 cup leftover for use in my cupcakes.

ENJOY!

No comments: