Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Menu Monday-Zucchini Edition

So my garden is flourishing. I even picked my first tomatoes this weekend. Granted they are salad tomatoes but a tomato is a tomato! We also pulled up most of the cabbage this weekend so they didn’t bolt in the high heat like the rest of my broccoli did. I think I have three broccoli plants left and a few small heads of cabbage. Even more squash and zucchini came in though. I’ve been giving cabbage and zucchini and squash away by the bag full. I’m just not ready to go into canning/freezing mode. I need to make Saur kraut but I don’t have the time. I will rely on the fall crop for that I suppose. We only need a good dozen cans to get through the winter anyway and that doesn’t take that many heads to get.

Our small garden is ready for its second round of planting which I will be working on this week. Until that is done, I will be cooking our produce instead of worrying about preserving it. I’m not quite sure I can keep up with the yields but I’ll give it the old college try. This is a week full of garden goodness:

From the Simply In Season Cookbook:

Vegetable Pasta Salad pg 109
Squash Fritters pg 122
Italian Zucchini Pie pg 136
Zucchini Cookies
Zucchini Brownies

Meatloaf
Baked Chicken
Fried Potatoes

Fried Cabbage

Towards the weekend I’ll probably do some more homemade Cole slaw and grilled burgers too.

What’s on your menu this week? Are you reaping the benefits of your garden or local farmer’s market yet? I have to admit I haven’t been to the farmer’s market in two weeks thanks to my garden though I really need some filler ingredients that I don’t grow. That is definitely on the agenda next weekend.

No comments: