Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

March: Lion or Lamb?

We have tons of nursery rhymes and old wives tales in the deep south (and all over America) about gardening and weather. March is known for its winds in this part of the country. The saying though is: if March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb. I'm just taking a guess here, but I believe the snow during that first week of March qualifies as a lion. In fact, the past three days full of rain, are quite lion-like as well.

I'm not complaining (really) since we have been prone to a draught the past few summers (more than a few), but this is making it very difficult to get any planting done. We have been confined to the indoors for the most part, which normally would be great except my husband has his twisted agenda list which always comes before my Honey Do list. Meaning: my fabulous planting table he lovingly built for me, is covered in an array of junk while he builds his work bench so I can neither GET to my table nor has he hung the grow lights so that I can plant my seeds that I fussed about for so long.

With this weather, I can not work in the garden either so I'm confined to the house and doing the "domestic" chores (which I'm very good at it and wouldn't get done if I didn't do them) but it is absolutely driving me insane! I want to watch something grow other than my widening rearend. Seriously, I need to be outdoors in sunshine and warm weather, digging in the dirt and moving horse manure, getting exercise and vitamin D so I can retain my sanity. (Okay, I'm exagerating only slightly here).

Every year, an abundance of chores and household projects prevent us from planting on time. EVERY year I complain about getting the garden done late and not having enough time to keep it up properly. This year, is off to the same old start.

Today's Tip: Plant pansies

No comments: