Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Marinara Sauce

Marinara Sauce
Inspired by Martha Stewart Living

A good Marinara Sauce is a standard basic that everyone with a kitchen needs in their repertoire. As much as you may like your recipe, it never hurts to try someone else’s. Most of them, are pretty similar with maybe quanitites or an extra herb etc. My marinara is the most basic you can get since I stay away from dried herbs and peppers (you wouldn’t believe how mildewy/moldy those things can be from the way they are processed to the pepper cores etc.)

In the January issue of MSL, there is a whole section on Parmigiana with several recipes starting with their basic marinara sauce. I decided this was a great idea to try. So without further ado, I give you my take on MSL Recipes with some annotations for those that don’t have the pesky allergies I do.

MSL Marinara Sauce
3 tbs vegetable or olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 tsps chopped garlic
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
2 14 oz cans of whole tomatoes, pureed in food processor
Salt and pepper
(MSL uses ½ tsp crushed red-pepper flakes, ¼ cup fresh torn basil leaves, and 1 tbs fresh oregano as well. I enjoyed it without these additives though I’m sure its scrumptious with them).

Directions:
Heat oil over medium heat in stock pot. Cook onion and garlic for 5-10 minutes until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 25 minutes or until it thickens up some. (If you choose, add in herbs at the end).

MSL Notes: Sauce can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.

No comments: