Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Southern Pound Cake

In my quest to find a good Pound Cake recipe I managed to get one of my Best Friend's Grandmother's recipe (did you follow all that?). Now this MUST be a good recipe as this is B's favorite cake. Having made it, I must admit, it is superb. One of the most moist pound cakes I've had with a flaky crust and light flavor. I did adapt it just a tad because I didn't have Lemon Extract. I think Lemon extract will give it that touch more flavor that I'm looking for. Overall though, this is THE POUND CAKE recipe to work from ya'll! (Make no mistake though, it will definately ADD the pounds to your butt so beware! They don't call this Southern Pound Cake without reason!)

Southern Pound Cake
From Mrs. Shirley Wall (THANK YOU!)

Ingredients:
1/2 pound "country" butter or 2 sticks sweet cream butter
1/2 cup Shortening
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract (I used 2 tsp lemon juice)
3 cups SIFTED CAKE flour (do not skip this step)
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sweet milk (aka one small can of Sweetened Condensed Milk)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter and crisco until thoroughly mixed. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue beating after each addition. Sift flour and measure. Add Baking powder and salt and resift twice. Blend in vanilla and lemon extracts. Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Blend well after each addition.

Pour into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until cake tests done. I used two loaf pans and the cooking time took about the same.

No comments: