Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Spaghetti With Creamy Lemon Sauce

You can always tell the difference between a Southern American and an Italian American. True Italian heritage people will cook pasta with anything. They make sweet pastas, savory pastas, plain pastas, extravagant pastas. A Southern American makes a variety of pasta.....with tomato sauce. Throw in a little alfredo every now and again and you have the extent of "italian" cooking in the Southern Household.

Okay, okay. So this may be an over generalization of stereotypical thinking, but you know its mostly true, especially in this household. Everytime I try to step out of that Italian cooking box, I get snarls and "you've gone a little crazy on the cooking front" looks from my husband. Example.

I refuse to give up. Pasta is probably my favorite thing in the world and I will be damned if I sit idly by and let the best pasta dishes go undiscovered because I hit a few that do not jive with my Southern palate.

The perfect opportunity arose to try a new dish. I have leftover lemons and heavy cream from the holiday cooking orgy. So I tried a light and simple pasta. It wasnt' BAD persay, but it was odd. Stephen ate it but I would be hard pressed to get him to eat it again and I can't say that I would be too keen on it myself. It's the lemon flavor. I'm just not sure I can get past that. Lemon belongs in Sweet Tea and Cream Pie, Squeezed over Grilled Salmon or zested with some poultry. Lemon, cream and noodles? Not so much. I'm still working on getting away from tomato sauce. Maybe that should be a new year's resolution.

Spaghetti with Creamy Lemon Sauce

Ingredients:
1 lb Spaghetti
1 & 1/8 cup of Whipping Cream
1 cup chicken stock
Zest of One Lemon
Juice of Half of Lemon
2 tbs Dried Parsley (Plus some for garnish)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Dash Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup Shredded Romano Cheese (Plus some for garnish)
1/8 cup flour

Directions:
Cook the spaghetti noodles till desired consistency in salted water. I like mine softer than Al Dente. While the spaghetti is cooking, combine all of your ingredients in sauce pan except Cheese and flour. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and add Flour whisking until smooth. When it starts to thicken, add cheese and hot noodles. Coat noodles well and serve hot with a sprinkle of parsley and cheese.

No comments: