Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Perfect Holiday Cake

This week I wanted to not only try some new things but reflect on an original recipe I created and try to perfect it. I'm totally in love with this cake now (as is my aunt and half the people I work with -the other half didn't get a piece..LOL)I originally posted the recipe April of LAST year as a Sweet Potato Cake. This time I used pumpkin and made a few changes. The effect was phenomenal.

Perfect Holiday Cake (Feel free to give me name suggestions)

Ingredients:
3 cups self-rising flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsps cinnamon
2 cups pumpkin puree
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
Filling:
8oz cream cheese (softened)
1 egg
3 tbs sugar
Topping:
Pineapple rings
1/2 stick butter
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Chopped nuts (optional, I didn't use these since my aunt has allergies but they would make an awesome addition to the cake or even sprinkle on top)

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 375. Mix pumpkin, eggs, shortening, vanilla, pineapple, pineapple juice together. In seperate bowl mix flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg. Slowly add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend well. Do not over mix. Mix Filling Ingredients together in a seperate bowl and set aside.

In skillet melt butter, add brown sugar-stir over medium LOW heat until melted and mixed. Pour into a bundt pan (I use a stoneware bundt pan but this would probably work in other kinds of cake pans). Arrange pineapple slices into mixture. Pour half of pumpkin batter on top, pour cream cheese mix in, swirl slightly and pour the other half of pumpkin batter in. Bake approx. 1 hr or until tester comes out clean.

1 comment:

Beth said...

When I eat my piece of it I'll brainstorm some name ideas. I already told the husband not to touch my damn cake. :-P