Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spinach Pork Tenderloin

As I have aged, I have truly come to appreciate the simple Spinach plant. This is a dark green leafy veggie full of iron. True to Popeye Fashion, I eats me Spinach. I include spinach leaves in salads, on sandwiches, in dips and quiches. Pretty much anywhere I think spinach will fit, I put it. I came upon a delightful little recipe in an old edition of Taste of Home (2000). With a few changes, this is probably going to be one of my new go to recipes for pork tenderloin. It quite possibly was the most juicy flavorful tenderloin without masking the true flavor of the meat. Simply Delicious.

Spinach Pork Tenderloin


1 Package frozen chopped spinach-thawed, drained and squeeze dried
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
3 tbs butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 boneless pork loin /roast (about 3 1/2 lbs)
1/4 cup orange pineapple juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs ketchup
1 1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbs prepared horseradish
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp course salt
1/2 tsp dill

Directions:
In skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. (wait a minute or two after onion to put garlic in so it doesn't burn). Separate roast into two pieces. Pound out the two pieces with tenderizer and sprinkle with course salt. Spoon onion/garlic on one side. Top with the second piece of meat. Tie with kitchen string or stake with tooth picks. Place in tinfoil lined casserole dish or shallow roasting pan.

In bowl combine the orange juice, soy sauce and ketchup. Poru half over roast. Bake, uncovered at 350 for an hour. Baste with remaining orange juice mixture. Cover and bake 1 hour more or until a meat thermometer reads 160. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. (The meat will continue to cook a bit when you remove from oven if you leave it tented/covered). I let it rest ten minutes in a covered state and then five uncovered.

In a sauce pan, combine sour cream, horseradish, mustard, salt, dill and reserved spinach. Cook over medium heat just until heated through. Do not overcook or boil. Serve warm with a slice of pork roast on top. (10-12 servings)

>

1 comment:

Isha said...

This looks a little over my learning curve, but I LOVE spinach so I think I'll try!