Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Risotto

Unfortunately, this will be the last pork recipe to grace the pages of my blog. This is the recipe that sent my mild allergy to my beloved piggy meat over the edge and landed me in the Emergency Room last night. It is indeed a sad day for my cooking adventures as I have a deep and abiding love affair for all things bacon and sausage. To show how greatly this love affair is: I have approximately 50 lbs of pork meat in my freezer: pork roasts, pork tenderloins, homemade sausage, bratwurst, wild hog slabs. People buy sections of cow? I buy Pig like that too! Maybe I'll have a giveaway contest on my blog for Pork! LOL

Anyway, I will not regale you with the details of my horrific allergic reaction as it will detract further from my new recipe (that I will never get to make again). Maybe I will remember this recipe more fondly then it actually warrants but what can I say, its the last pork I shall ever eat. ::cries a bit::

Go forth into the sweet kitchen yonder dear piggy meat.

Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Risotto

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
4 tbs butter
2 tbs oil
2 tbs crushed garlic
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups white wine
5 links Sweet Italian Sausage
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and diced
1 1/2 cups risotto rice
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1/2 cup shredded romano
3/4 cup mozzerella
1/4 cup chopped fresh italian parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat stock in sauce pan on stove. (bring to boil and then lower to simmer). Pierce sausage and place in heated oil to sear outsides. Add about 1/2 inch of water (do this AWAY from burner as adding water to hot oil/grease can make it pop and splatter causing a fire expecially if you are using a gas stove). Simmer sausages, turning occasionally until almost done. Remove and coin sausage links.

The water should have cooked out of the pan leaving oily sausage drippings. To this add your butter, onion, garlic and peppers. Cook until tender. Add the rice and cook until coated well. Begin adding chicken stock about a half cup at a time. Wait until liquid is absorbed and add more. About half way through the chicken stock, add your white wine. When liquid is absorbed continue with chicken stock.

When you are down to the last of the chicken stock use the empty saute pan to reheat your sausage coins and brown them off. I add my parsley in here so it sautes (will turn black though so if you want the rich green color add it to the rice or at the very end). (you can also use dried if you are going to add it to the rice or as garnish).

When rice is done and creamy, add your cheeses and top with sausage coins.

Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Valentine said...

You could make this again with chicken or beef sausage.

Stephanie said...

It sounds amazing! I can't wait to make it!

Krista said...

I could Valentine, but it just won't be the same. Sigh. Turkey Sausage here I come. ::whimper::