Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Calico Squash Casserole

In honor of my garden, I'm posting one of my most requested recipes. Before you wrinkle your nose, you should know, that even some of the most vocal squash haters have enjoyed. While this recipe can take a little time to prepare using fresh ingredients, it can also be quick and simple with some preplanning. During the summer, I make it with fresh ingredients from the garden, so chopping and dicing are required. I also, freeze veggies in appropriate proportions for winter consumption so I can just throw everything together in a matter of 10 minutes and the oven does the rest!! You should try it atleast once!

Calico Squash Casserole (adapted from a recipe originally posted in Taste of Home 1997)
2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup water
1 tsp salt/divided
2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted (cream of mushroom works well too for a more vegetarian friendly version)
1 large carrot, shredded or finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
1 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes on medium-high. Drain well. Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Combine soup, 1 cup cheese, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture and pour gently over crumbs. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Yield 8 servings.

2 comments:

Oldmarrieds said...

(this is Jules_NC from the Nest) YUM! I cannot wait until we can start our garden - I love fresh squash! Thanks for posting a really yummy sounding recipe.

Fat Celiac said...

I am one of the vocal squash haters, and I have to say I love Krista's Calico Squash Casserole. Better than I could have believed!